Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain to me the schadenfreude and nerdrage going on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please explain to me the schadenfreude and nerdrage going on?

First things first, I understand Deserts of Kharak has it flaws, from insufficient AI, to lack of content (maps), to no key rebindings and no mod support (as of yet).

However, whats with this faction going around the comments sections of game review sites who self-admittedly haven't bought the game. PC gamer gave it a 90 and there's a bunch of people going "how dare they". I have even seen one person accusing their reviewer of being paid.

There seems to be a regular pattern of subjectively stupid criticisms such as: They shouldn't have made a Homeworld game on the ground (despite the fact this was a valid time point in the lore established in the first game and there is no dogma against spin-offs). There are people accusing the game of being shoehorned from its MMMRTS origins at the last minute (anyone who followed the game since its Hardware days like Prospector backers such as myself, know that this isn't the case at all). I have even seen ignorant commenters attack the game's pedigree despite BBI being headed by the franchise's co-creators.

It could still be residual anger from people over the broken Homeworld 1 Remastered formation behavior, but It seems like a lot of this has sprung from TotalBiscuit's fanbase. Having watched his video being a fan myself, I didn't see anything particularly damning in his video. He just merely suggested waiting for a price drop based on the valid criticisms mentioned above. The only kicking point I had was because of the Cynical Britt's general antipathy towards preorders, he didn't go into much detail about the free Homeworld Remastered or 20% loyalty discount when discussing its value. I simply have not seen any better value preorder packages in a long time. Having said that, I am at a lost for explaining the resulting fan-dumb, some of these people talk as if they have been legitimately betrayed.

What is it about the RTS community now that makes them so freaking unpleaseable these days? Not every game needs to be geared towards E-Sports upon launch and be ruthlessly compared to Star-Craft 2 like its the damn end-all be-all. Our genre at best sees 2-5 notable releases a year and yet I have read some commenters with the audacity of saying Deserts of Kharak is another generic RTS. Exactly what is it being compared to to be declared generic? The last few releases I can think of are Grey Goo (another enjoyable game that has attracted derision mainly for not being Star-Craft 2, whose only real flaw was content, again lower budgets probably because of the nigh-unpleasable fanbase), Etherium, Planetary Annihilation and Star-Craft 2 Legacy of the Void. Deserts of Kharak doesn't play like a copy of any of those games.

From what I can tell, from being on the forums and reading the steam reviews, most of the people who actually own the game enjoy it in spite of its flaws. Mainly because the game still does what the Homeworld series has done well historically, great art design, epic scale units, enjoyable world building and story, and a very cinematic experience.

God-willing, the sales still hold strong enough that some gearbox executive doesn't get it into his head that Homeworld 3 will be a bad investment.

Sorry, for my rant.
    Last edited by Kyle756; 21-01-2016, 08:42 PM.

Thank god you weren't on the Relicnews forums when Homeworld 2 was released...

Comment

Originally posted by Nagaraj View Post
      Thank god you weren't on the Relicnews forums when Homeworld 2 was released...
      I got into the franchise later in its life span, and I never used forums back then. However, I do have faint awareness of a part of the Homeworld fanbase who still swear that Homeworld 2 was a terrible game. I even saw some of it flare up again when they found out Homeworld Remastered was going to be built entirely in a modified form of Homeworld 2's engine. They are probably the biggest voices behind the Homeworld 1 Remastered formation behavior hatedom and many of them still swear they won't buy Remastered till they get what they want.

Comment

Gamers these days just feel entitled. I think its an extension of the general culture. Or maybe gamers have always been this way, and now that the internet exists such nerdrage has an outlet. I wonder what kind of complaining would have happened with the original mario bros was released.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle756 View Post

I got into the franchise later in its life span, and I never used forums back then. However, I do have faint awareness of a part of the Homeworld fanbase who still swear that Homeworld 2 was a terrible game. I even saw some of it flare up again when they found out Homeworld Remastered was going to be built entirely in a modified form of Homeworld 2's engine. They are probably the biggest voices behind the Homeworld 1 Remastered formation behavior hatedom and many of them still swear they won't buy Remastered till they get what they want.
          And despite all that rage and gnashing of teeth, HW2 is still widely regarded as a classic and DoK almost certainly will be too. The reviews by PCG, Kotaku, etc. will be remembered while the people *****ing either because of issues that will be fixed in patches or just refusal to take the game on its own terms won't be.

Comment

Homeworld 2 might have been iffy on some of the details and a bit on unit balance (flying coffin Frigates...) but the engine was sound and the UI was excellent. Retrograding back to Homeworld 1 would have felt very primitive and a regression by comparison, and GBx did not have enough time to build an entirely new engine. It is easier, especially with cooperation from BBI holding many assets, to just rebuild Homeworld 1 in the Homeworld 2 engine. It isn't perfect but it's vastly easier to control.

Comment

Internet and immaturity.

Comment

poor taste, bruh. those guys doing the complaining happily shell out hundreds of dollars on call of duty and its season packs.

Comment

DOK is a hell of a lot of fun. It has issues sure and I wish it had maybe had more time in the can for better AI, more multi maps, minor UI/usability fixes and some other things I can't remember, mod support at launch, but nothing TOO major.

I could have waited a few more months.. the release seemed to come out of nowhere anyway??

Comment

IMO, if there's one single thing I have to say about the game.. "It's homeworld."

It FEELS like Homeworld, it SOUNDS like Homeworld, it LOOKS like Homeworld, it PLAYS like Homeworld in the sense it doesn't hold your hand and if you screw up you die (hell I had to beat the last mission on easy mode cause it's a hard game). Regardless of broken skirmish AI or lack of maps, or any of the other useless nonsense, it feels like a Homeworld game. And on top of that, BBI is dedicated to upkeep on the game for the future. A lot of developers half-*** games and never show interest in them past making the initial sale. So ignore the trolls, it's amazing they remember how to breathe.

Comment

Don't let it worry you. All that really matters is that you like the game, other peoples opinions shouldn't really factor in. For sure don't let it upset you.

Comment

The more time passes, this game will get more and more negative reviews as people see that the game was rushed, with to little content and to many small and big bugs. You can already see on steam first pages that the most helpful reviews are starting to be negative, and this trend will continue as more people finish the story and after that see that there is almost nothing to do anymore, and in that way the game is really bad, compared to older homeworld games or RTS games in general.
                        Last edited by miljan; 22-01-2016, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Thankfully, many other people seem to like the game.

If steamspy is any indicator, the # of units sold puts them at about #2.2million in revenue. Not a bad chunk of change. And there's still time yet.

Comment

Originally posted by concordion2k View Post
                            Thankfully, many other people seem to like the game.

If steamspy is any indicator, the # of units sold puts them at about #2.2million in revenue. Not a bad chunk of change. And there's still time yet.
                            That is extremely low number, and not positive at all for bigger games like this. Its around 20k to 30k copies sold? Very low.

Comment

These dramas always tend to happen when new games release, it's been the same ever since the internet. 83% positive and quite good critic reviews are not actually that bad. Take a look at other games like Fallout 4, considerably lower. Most helpful reviews (on Steam) always tend to be the negative ones, this is normal too.

Also I would not actually name DoK a "big game" actually, it's been 13 years since the last release of a Homeworld game, many younger gamers don't know anything about it. 30k copies sold 2 days after release is actually quite good for a game franchise that has been lurking in the shadows and is relatively unknown nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                              X