Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on the Game Story and the Expedition Guide

Hello,

I just recently finished the game after about four days of playing the campaign. And I have a few questions both about the game story itself but the really sweet looking Expedition Guide as well. For those reading who haven't completed the game or seen the Guide just yet please be warned there are going to be spoilers in these questions. Also please try to keep on topic, I really do not like people coming in and abusing my thread for their own purposes. Thank you.

You guys still here then. Well let's get things started with some questions about the Expedition Guide. Firstly when I was looking at the Kharak Timeline I noticed something.

Basically, it says that the city of Saju-ka was destroyed via the madness of the Gaalsien Kiith-Sa then they disappear to the deep desert around 717 KDS and Kiith Gaalsien is tried in absentia where they are declared an outlaw the following year. However isn't the Heresy Wars still going on during this time. Also the protections around Saju-Ka where designed and built by the Naabal which I thought where still in hiding at this time. Or am I wrong with this? Also I noticed that an event is mentiond twice on the tail-end of the timeline.

Secondly, ever since the existence of the Coalition of Northern Kiithid was said to be the main faction I have been wondering what about the Southern Kiithid like the Paktu. They are mentioned in the Guide along with their history. Are they part of the Coalition or have their own faction or what. Just wondering.

Next, on the Unit page dedicated to the Kapisi and its sister ships it mentions that the Soban sponsered the Sakaala not the Siidim. Was this a typo or an earlier draft perhaps. Since the Sakaala and its units are colored dark grey which is quite similar to the colors shown by Captain Soban's Marine Frigate in Homeworld 2. Also speaking of the two carriers both sport the Hull Number of Five, while the Irift Naabal sports a hull number of three. Or is that Fleet numbers not hull numbers. For when I first looked through the Guide when it first downloaded I assumed that the Ifrift Naabal was the third large carrier developed by the Coalition the Sakaala the fourth and the Kapisi the fifth which make sense in my opinion.

Finally I thought Leykab Jaraci was the first Kharakian in space if I remember the old Homeworld Historical Briefing correctly. But now he is reasonable for finding the Khar-Toba. Or am I wrong about the old Historical Briefing since it has been a while since I read it after all?

I have some more questions but I believe that is enough for now. Thanks.
    Last edited by deathzealotzero; 24-01-2016, 03:17 AM.

From what I have gathered, Paktu and the other southern Kiith/Inhabitants are part of their own, southern Federation.
    Last edited by Monolith; 24-01-2016, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I noticed the inconsistencies in the timeline as well.

And for the Paktu being in the Northern Coalition, Turkey is part of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, so things like that happen. Though one imagines the Paktu are frequently proposing new names.

Comment

Hmmm... that is an interesting tidbit. I just thought of something. Wasn't the Paktu the only Southern Kiithid anyways? Therefore it does make sense afterall.

Comment

In the revised homeworld historical briefing and the expedition guide it says Leykab Jaraci was just a technician on the satellite project.
          The time lines do see to conflict, it says the Naabel didn't enter the heresy wars until 810, but it states later that the height of the age of reason (which didn't start until 830 according to the guide's timeline) and the decline of the Gaalsien was 710 and they blew the city walls in 717. Also the stuff around the city was built by a Naabel, also its stated that the Naabel created explosives so how could the Gaalsien "blow up" the walls around the city with explosives before the Naabel revealed that tech to the rest of the world.
          Last edited by keithsboredom; 30-01-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Hello deathzealotzero, your questions really made me think back quite a lot. When I first bought HW1 back in 2000, I printed out the PDF Historical Briefing. I am not certain, if the HW:RM Collection came with such a document as well, where some attempt to retcon may have been made by GBX.

Anyway, I pored through those old yellowed-out pages, and here are my thoughts intermixed with facts from said original document; the Nabaal faced persecution from the Gaalsien and were usually referred to either as tradesmen or heretics. This basically drove the Nabaal to their hidden valley refuge in the north, where they prospered in their relative isolation.

So in many ways, the Gaalsien were always aware about the Nabaal, but they were left alone for quite a while.

Now the Nabaal periodically sent out small parties to spirit-off scholars as well as save texts from being destroyed. By around the 700s Kharak Dating System (KDS), Saju-ka would've been swallowed by the encroaching desert sand, and considering that this Gaalsien city contained libraries holding the collected works of the Kushan people, it's prudent to assume that the Nabaal, specifically Gar Nabaal, built the complex series of wind baffles, dikes and sand paths. Perhaps this knowledge was suppressed by Gaalsien propaganda and only came to light later.

I am puzzled as to how I never realized the apparent discrepancy in the original HW1 document about the Time of Reason being at it's height in 710 KDS and the Kiith Nabaal profile stating that by the Time of Reason 200 years later, the Nabaal had already built railroad connections to the southern hemisphere. This suggests that the Time of Reason is considered to be around 200 years after the Nabaal intervention - which is definitely treated as bringing the Heresy Wars to an end. So going by this statement, the Heresy Wars that lasted for 300 years occurred circa 250-550 KDS. Thus explaining how the Gaalsien had access to Nabaal developed explosives used 200 years earlier.

I will read through the revised document again to see what additional inconsistencies I can find. I just need to hunt for my HW:Cata manual copy (hope you'd treat it as canon ) and look through the Expedition Guide too!
            Last edited by Tuulof_Nabaal; 31-01-2016, 01:27 AM.
            ... mor, ak faar grache rot kushan-la!

Comment

Alright, so I couldn't find the Historical Briefing in my HW:RM folder under Steam (or may be am not looking for it in the right place); anyway, I did go through the DoK Expedition Guide and it appears that my conjecture earlier is not entirely correct.

So yes, guess that explosives bit does seems to be a slight aberration. Though if one were to perhaps exclude the fact that the Time of Reason was at it's height in the 710s KDS, the rest of the dates fall into place slightly.

Now am confused!

Arkoshal Cora

Comment

You are not the only one Tuulof who is confused. That said you are looking for the wrong thing. You need to find the Homeworld_Digital_Artbook. It is in the Homeworld Remastered Local Files Folder.

Comment

Thanks, but it seems the RM I bought didn't come with it. Oh well, I'll just be under the conceit that the Time of Reason didn't occur in the 700s, but 200 years after the Heresy Wars ended. Happier times...

Comment

Hmmm.... it should have been added during the last update. Do you have automatic updates on for the game?

Comment

There is a Paktu logo on one of the buildings in Epsilon base, so I'd guess they are a member of the Coalition in some capacity.

Comment

Well that could be it...! I haven't run my HW:RM for quite sometime now. I'll keep you posted if I get that document and with my further inference, if any

Thanks deathzealotzero

Arkoshal Cora

Comment

Originally posted by Nagaraj View Post
                          There is a Paktu logo on one of the buildings in Epsilon base, so I'd guess they are a member of the Coalition in some capacity.
                          Just re-read the Expedition Guide, a part of the sensor package aboard the Sakala class carrier comprises of the Paktu designed Naval Acoustic sensor suite. This suggests that the Paktu may be associated to some degree with the Northern Coalition. And also what Nagaraj pointed out.

Comment

Working...
                          X