Canon Taiidan carrier size?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon Taiidan carrier size?

This is something thats caused a few debates, in the original game the carrier was 'only' about 500 meters long while in deserts of kharak it is significantly bigger, what is the canon size for the ship? or is this a different class to the carriers in the first game?

this questions been in my mind for a while now and how it possibly makes all of the ships in the original game closer to their size in the manual rather then gameplay

which also makes me wonder what is canon for the mothership, the smaller in game size or the 40 or so km height implied by the scaffold height
    Last edited by ShaneWallis123; 08-03-2017, 08:20 AM.

Game play considerations almost always skew unit scale in RTS games (look at the size of Carriers and Battlecruisers compared to Marines in Starcraft for example), so what is represented in a mission will not always translate directly with what is intended in the lore.

Unfortunately I can't speak to the other Homeworld games, but can say that for DoK that what is in the Expedition Guide is intended to be "cannon".

Sorry that this doesn't directly answer your question.

Cheers,

Iain

Comment

Thanks for the reply, so basically 'dont look at in game scales when trying to discuss lore' thanks for clearing that up

Comment

Yeah, I had a long chat about it a while back when it first came out. Same goes for Khar Toba. Basically what it boils down to in my mind is that they used the original HW1 models as a base to work with, but the units the models are measured in are feet and not meters. So the models end up being a lot larger compared to the HW2 models which were in meters. And with Remastered, it basically confirms the heated debate back in the olden days of ship scaling inconsistencies since the models for the most part match up now when doing the conversion. DoK used meters as well, but it likely was just the result of simple oversight. Not that I’m complaining. Visually speaking, it looks a lot more epic to have a ship that at one point we all remember just being another metal hulk in empty space as part of the scenery in a big way in DoK. So I choose to chalk it up to “artistic choices”.

Comment

Working...
        X