Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential new player wishing to garner information about Deserts of Kharak

Hi everyone,

So I'm thinking of buying this game as it's piqued my interest and I've heard that the devs have been active in updating and improving the game since release. I'd like to know if this is true and if this is a good time to jump aboard. I've also read a lot of reviews saying the singleplayer campaign is short and the multiplayer scene is pretty dead. Obviously I take reviews with a pinch of salt and I'd like to find out myself. If this is the case I'm afraid that doesn't give me much reason to purchase, fingers crossed its not like that or that its at least a growing multiplayer community. Thanks for your time reading this and I hope to hear back from you all.

I somehow doubt you are going to be checking back here for a response but I still feel I should.

Desert of Kharak is a good RTS game, but there is alot to learn and a hell of a learning curve in MP.
    The Single player is a story driven true to Homeworld affair, if you enjoyed the homeworld campaigns you should enjoy Desert of Kharak's which should take around 10 hours on your first play through.

The multiplayer side, if you just jump on Desert of Kharak multiplayer you will struggle to find a match, people still play and are active but it is a small community that operates via a discord channel, the Deserts of Kharak MP lobbies are unfortunately quite poor, the player list is just the people in the Steam community chat and you cannot even tell how many people are playing/queuing for games.
    If you are looking for vs AI, then you will be disappointed, the AI is quite limited, though far better than is was, there is some entertainment to be found there but not much.

If you are interested, I would recommend joining the discord https://discordapp.com/invite/0iObC1nAGCZTs77m
    That is for the homeworld discord most of us use and you can ask for info and games there.

For me DoK is the best RTS game currently available, I have put 825 hours into the game and got the game at release, there is a depth to the gameplay and mechanics that makes skill important.

On that note if you want to play competitive games there is a tournament every 2 weeks, the Artifact Cup, where you can put yourself to the test.

I hope that helps somewhat

Comment

Originally posted by Tren View Post
      I somehow doubt you are going to be checking back here for a response but I still feel I should.

Desert of Kharak is a good RTS game, but there is alot to learn and a hell of a learning curve in MP.
      The Single player is a story driven true to Homeworld affair, if you enjoyed the homeworld campaigns you should enjoy Desert of Kharak's which should take around 10 hours on your first play through.

The multiplayer side, if you just jump on Desert of Kharak multiplayer you will struggle to find a match, people still play and are active but it is a small community that operates via a discord channel, the Deserts of Kharak MP lobbies are unfortunately quite poor, the player list is just the people in the Steam community chat and you cannot even tell how many people are playing/queuing for games.
      If you are looking for vs AI, then you will be disappointed, the AI is quite limited, though far better than is was, there is some entertainment to be found there but not much.

If you are interested, I would recommend joining the discord https://discordapp.com/invite/0iObC1nAGCZTs77m
      That is for the homeworld discord most of us use and you can ask for info and games there.

For me DoK is the best RTS game currently available, I have put 825 hours into the game and got the game at release, there is a depth to the gameplay and mechanics that makes skill important.

On that note if you want to play competitive games there is a tournament every 2 weeks, the Artifact Cup, where you can put yourself to the test.

I hope that helps somewhat
      I really appreciate you replying, I'm a big RTS fan and have felt a little disillusioned with the current crop of RTS games out there. I was hoping there was more to this game than meets the eye and your reply suggests this. I'm going to jump in and give it a go. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X