No announcement yet.

Trying to get started on some DoK papercraft, don't understand team textures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get started on some DoK papercraft, don't understand team textures

I've had Homeworld and now DoK papercraft on my to do list for a while now but after recently looking at the textures in earnest, I realized I didn't understand how to properly use the TEAM texture with the .diff to apply team and stripe colors on models. I've taken screenshots from the color customization menu so I would have accurate colors but this goes beyond a bucket fill job in gimp. I know I'm supposed to use a hard light filter to superimpose one texture over the other but beyond that I'm at a loss for what to do to get the model to look "painted" rather than factory grey.

Got a chance to look at one. you use the individual channels as selection filters. Red channel is main color; Green is stripe color; Blue is the scratch/dirt pass. So Intersect a selection between Red + Blue for the main color layer; and Green + Blue for the stripe layer. If you use Red or Green channels only the painted colors should be much cleaner like fresh out of the factory.
    Last edited by nli2work; 24-02-2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty new to image modification and have been working on your advice. I think I'm supposed to separate the individual colors with Gimp's color channel tool, then do a bucket fill while intersect layer masking them using the blue channel to maintain the weathered look, correct?

Comment

I'm not very familiar with Gimp's tools. easiest way to think of each RGB channel as a separate Alpha channel. So you're exactly right, you mix R with B selections (pixels that contains R and B colors, but not G) to maintain the weathered look for the main color... and same for G + B channels.

Comment

That definitely seems like the right answer, I'll start working on gimp and figure it out.

Comment

Hey guys, I'll shed some light on this for you. So there are 5 textures which make up the main unit material in the game:
            • Diffuse
            • Bumpmap
            • Surface Map
            • Team Overlay
            • Occlusion
            For the purposes of this discussion we're looking purely at the diffuse and team overlay maps and how they work. Before we get into specifics, you'll note that we also need the two 'shader constants' defining the primary and trim colours (user selected colours from fleet manager). Here's a function from our shader which combines the base/trim colours with the diffuse and team overlay textures:

Code:

half3 CombineUnitAlbedo(half3 diffColor, half3 baseColor, half3 trimColor, half3 overlayMask)
                {
                    half3 albedo = diffColor;
                    albedo = lerp (albedo, Overlay(albedo, (baseColor.rgb)), overlayMask.r);       // Combine Diffuse and BaseColour SpecMask(Blue Channel)
                    albedo = lerp (albedo, Overlay(albedo, (trimColor.rgb)), overlayMask.g);       // Combine Diffuse with TrimColour SpecMask(Green Channel
                    return albedo;
                }
            With 'diffColour' being the sampled RGB value from the diffuse texture and 'overlayMask' being the sampled RGB value from the team overlay texture. We use an overlay photoshop filter to combine the albedo value with the selected base and trim colours and blend them based on the intensity of the overlay mask's red and green channels.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Surface Map = Spec? or Metal? I don't see an Alpha in the Spec Maps, what do you use to control Smooth/Gloss? What is the Blue channel in the Team Overlay map used for?

Comment

You got it, the surface map is our spec map + emission. We feed it directly into a modified version of Unity's PBR standard shader. We just need the green/blue channels for specular power and smoothness and also use the red channel of the surface map to determine emissive intensity for that portion of the diffuse map (allows us to paint in emissive colours into diffuse and modulate via this channel).

Comment

Ahhh I see. interesting! I should really get in the habit of viewing RGBA as independent inputs instead of single texture.

Comment

If you're interested in how we generated our vehicle textures, our main texture artist and resident Allegorithmic guru, Victor had his work highlighted on their blog. Check it out: https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/art-victor-kam

Comment

Originally posted by BBI-GBot View Post
                      If you're interested in how we generated our vehicle textures, our main texture artist and resident Allegorithmic guru, Victor had his work highlighted on their blog. Check it out: https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/art-victor-kam
                      yeah I saw that on facebook! really amazing work. Gonna get into substance painter tonight.

Comment

Sorry to necro this post- I actually had to postpone this for other projects but now, after recently returning to it, I've discovered a few more issues. I was wrong in thinking that I could simply filter out the individual colors and then bucket fill them, both the team and stripe colors have scratches and abrasions where the paint is so light or faded that the color selection tool views them as a different color even with the "select-and-drag" method. Even if it did work, I never realized a bucket fill wouldn't maintain this wear and tear, it would simply use one shade for the entire image. Furthermore, when I ignored this issue for the sake of testing the combination of the base texture and the recolored team texture I found the result to be much darker than as seen in-game. I haven't really found a lot of documentation on the team texture and at this point I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to emulate paint schemes outside of the game engine itself.

Comment

Just figured it out- Use color mixer to separate the team and stripe colors, use color to alpha to remove the white background, then use colorify or gradient map to alter them both as desired. Gimp's luminosity doesn't go above 100 which may be why the colors are darker than expected.
                          Last edited by Greg1; 24-01-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Cool stuff! Can you show us the results?

Cheers,

Iain

Comment

Here's a pic of an almost ready interceptor. I just need to make the badge transparent, check the team and stripe color accuracy one last time, and then I can load it into pepakura.

Comment

Working...
                              X