Homeworld 3 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeworld 3 ?

Just a question is there any possibility to make a HW 3after this project is done? Cause that would be awesome cant get enough of homeworld series

I think BBI could end up being Gearbox's go to developers for Homeworld. After all, Gearbox will be too focused on developing Borderlands and Battleborn. Gearbox's lack of RTS experience goes against them as well. I also want the franchise to stay with its Co-Creators for the sake of pedigree.

As is, BBI will probably develop expansions to Deserts of Kharak and continue to support Remastered before I see Gearbox giving them the green light for Homeworld 3

Comment

Rob has to come up with a good proof of concept for HW3 first, one that will blow Gearboxs socks off (won't be very hard). Ultimately the future of the Homeworld franchise depends on DoK, from the looks of it it's selling very well 8.8-9/10 reviews.

Comment

...And with improvements to come. I do hope the wider community at large realizes that success of DoK means the return of Homeworld.

As much as I would love Homeworld to become the next Halo series, I think it has a way to go yet. DoK is innovative and nice, but doesn't have the punch that is necessary to launch a big sprawling media empire. Perhaps that kicker could be Homeworld 3.

Comment

I think adding in that 'Star Nav' tactical map, that was going to be a part of HW2 (but was cut from the game due to deadlines) is the way to go for enhancing the gameplay and strategy. BBI has now also expanded into ground based combat, I would like to see if they merge ground and space into the next Homeworld.

Comment

nah, better to focus on one than turn into planetary annihilation with the incredibly abstract, watered down, fantastical, and almost comical interpretation of combat and physics. that's the end result of misguided mash ups. it's a scale issue. consider the size and distances involved. going down that road will lead yo planets the size of a football field. no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Norsehound View Post
              ...And with improvements to come. I do hope the wider community at large realizes that success of DoK means the return of Homeworld.

As much as I would love Homeworld to become the next Halo series, I think it has a way to go yet. DoK is innovative and nice, but doesn't have the punch that is necessary to launch a big sprawling media empire. Perhaps that kicker could be Homeworld 3.
              why would you want homeworld to attain that level of mainstream success and appeal? don't you know that's the death of a franchise right there? market forces will conspire to destroy it when it comes close to that level of popularity. pray it never happens.

Comment

Originally posted by johncage View Post

why would you want homeworld to attain that level of mainstream success and appeal? don't you know that's the death of a franchise right there? market forces will conspire to destroy it when it comes close to that level of popularity. pray it never happens.
                Because I want it to grow, and be big enough to be said in the same sentence as the likes of Starcraft, Halo, Mass Effect, and other popular game-universe titles that spawn more than just the media in which they were created. I'd want it to be so big the thought of tie-in media isn't too niche of a proposition. Right now, I think the only people whom have heard of Homeworld are Homeworld fans that have been clinging to the cult-status name for the past what, thirteen years? The universe is great, fresh, and deserves to be recognized.

Comment

Originally posted by Norsehound View Post

Because I want it to grow, and be big enough to be said in the same sentence as the likes of Starcraft, Halo, Mass Effect, and other popular game-universe titles that spawn more than just the media in which they were created. I'd want it to be so big the thought of tie-in media isn't too niche of a proposition. Right now, I think the only people whom have heard of Homeworld are Homeworld fans that have been clinging to the cult-status name for the past what, thirteen years? The universe is great, fresh, and deserves to be recognized.

All. Of. This.
                  This cannot be seconded enough.
                  Also, my apologies for the coming wall of text. I'm writing this because I want to explain just how much of the franchise ever since Homeworld 1 AND not only am I not afraid of the franchise finally achieving a form of mainstream appeal: I -wants- that to happen. Desert of Kharak might not be Homeworld 3, but it still has the potential to be the springboard from which a future spaceborne Homeworld game could launch itself to -then- become the game that could makes Homeworld go from cult status to household name for RTS gamer.

But it need to actually -sell- or else Homeworld might go back into obscurity for an entire decade where the only ways to play might eventually become only whatever juryriged fans-run servers people manage to cobble together again once official server go down due to costs of propping up a dead franchise.
                  And that's if there's enough skilled fans left to do that in a scenario where the series fade into obscurity again.

I want Homeworld to get mainstream appeal and then success. Because I want the franchise to truly live again for all that work to not be in vain.

Edit: More than anything, I want this to happen while this new Homeworld game is released in a time period during which there seem to be little competitors to truly steal the spotlight again. Starcraft 2 might still be getting expansions, but the core game was released many years ago now: what impact the appearance "Starcraft 2" might have already is slowly fading.
                  Similarly, long-awaited releases in the RTS genre like Planetary Annihilation(as a spiritual successor to Total Annihilaiton) have already had their times to be released and let initial hype fade. This is an unique occasion for the Homeworld name to attract attention again with a solid game which might pave the way to another who may make the franchise as much of an household name for RTS gamers than Starcraft, Ages of Empire of even (now fading)Command and Conquer.
                  Last edited by LMercier; 27-01-2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

When you guys talk of ground and space, it reminds me of Star Wars: Empire at War. It did a decent job of accomplishing that fantasy. I enjoyed that game a lot. It would be neat if BBI could make something similar to that, but of course much better GFX, and maybe even find a way to make it seamless. I have a feeling that such a project would be pretty big for them though, maybe two large. If you want to avoid what was said earlier, a watered down, simplified models game like Planetary Annihilation. That game was ok, but no thank you. It would make BBI sacrifice a lot of artistic talent just for the sake of a feature. IDK, I guess we have to see. What I'm afraid of is from some of the discussions we've seen with BBI, like the recent reddit, it makes me think some of these guys are interested in taking homeworld through some other types of game play. Not specifically Space or ground RTS, that kind of worries me. I'm not too worried about getting a HW3 perse, hell I'd prefer a revival of Dust Wars if anything. I mean while we are resurrecting the IP, why not bring back that ambitious project? Hell if your worried about funding crowd fund it, I'd throw my money at them.

Comment

I wasn't impressed with EaW. It tried too much, and the broad focus meant it couldn't do the details well. I'd rather have a good ground or good space game, preferably the latter.

Comment

I'd love a homeworld 3 but I'd also wouldn't say no to either a space fighter game like elite or sc but based on hw it would be interesting to pilot a taiidan interceptor for example trying to take on an ion frig or somit in a mission. I also wouldn't say no to a 4x game set around hw universe. Think of imperium galactica 2 but a homeworld based one. But i always would like a new homeworld set in space with a space opera worthy story and decent mp over others.

Comment

I could see the ground based missions working with the space based missions during the single player, they just wouldn't occur within the same mission. For instance while travelling in space you would control a mothership/fleet but when arriving at a planet where some ancient relic needs to be investigated you would use ground based vehicles with potential support from the fleet in orbit above, like the orbital strike in DoK. Animated cutscenes like we have now in DoK could bridge the transition between the two modes. Of course I have no idea how you would have both ground and space battles in multiplayer without making planets comically small like in Planetary Annihilation.

Comment

HW3 is better off a fan fantasy than reality. Endless waves of "impossible odds" just become absurdity... to wit the latest Death Star. HW was the Beginning; HW2 was the End (Trinity Prophecy End Time, all that); DoK is a great Encore. One might consider Cataclysm an intermission. I'd rather see BBI explore new grounds with new IP... starting with the ideas from earlier versions of Shipbreakers, that were dropped after it officially became Homeworld.

Comment

I want HW3, but i want a multiplatform from BBi first, i wanna game from BBi on my PS4 as well, Relic did that finally after we bugged them. to know end.

Comment

Working...
                              X