Multiplayer questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer questions

Hello. Super big fan of Homeworld 2 here.

First off, congratulations on setting the release date for your first game, I'm very excited to see it in action.
    I have a few questions on multiplayer, if you can answer,

- What is the maximum players allowed within a match?
    - It says "ranks" but does this mean we get a global win/loss count based ranking tied to our steam ID?
    - Does it include coop campaign and deathmatch style multiplayer for online experiences? Are there any other modes than deathmatches?
    - How many playable races are there?
    - Do we get similar hw2-like chat lobby while waiting for a game?
    - Was the networking stable in your internal testings? (Just had to ask )

Thanks!

Hello also!

Like Hid, I'm really interested in seeing how this goes, and would love as much info as you are willing to give.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi guys!

We'll be offering more information on MP in the near future. But I can say I am super stoked to start talking about it. This was definitely not just a "checkbox" feature for us - we spent a lot of thought and time making a cool multiplayer experience!

Comment

I'm glad to see some sort of progression system implemented-- even if it is purely thematic/cosmetic like titles and etc!

(And here's hoping for full Steam-browser integration...)

Comment

Hideki its not "really" there first game....ill be happy as if its just homeworld+2 on land personally cant wait plus the orbital stuff
          Last edited by SimmOkiwi; 17-12-2015, 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I have liked playing hw2 for the past 10+ years, even today, and that is why I have a high expectation on this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hideki View Post
              Was the networking stable in your internal testings? (Just had to ask )
              Haha, for sure.

Looking forward to playing!

Comment

For hw1 they used GameSpy I think, hw2 as well but can't recall. Since GameSpy is dead what are you going to be using if you can say. All in-house mp stuff or 3rd party?

Comment

I'd imagine they will be using the Steams multiplayer client [much like homeworld remastered]

Comment

I'm very excited to see further MP updates. I was a huge fan of HW1 and HW2 SP but the MP was insanely fun and the ability to use the Z-axis let more creative players perform exciting flanking maneuvers. Since the setting is on a planet, I'm guessing there will be no bonus to flanking from behind/sides/above/below.

I hope DoK doesn't rush out a broken MP because that will hamper the longevity of the game. (See Grey Goo!!!) I'm hoping there will be some kind of open/closed beta test to iron out any bugs prior to the January release.

I'm guessing DoK will be more Company of Heroes than HW1/HW2. Which is fine... As long as there are sand worms! =p (Insert spice must flow/sand is rough and gets everywhere and I don't like it jokes)
                    Last edited by SabinBlitz; 20-12-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BBI-RoryM View Post
                      Hi guys!

We'll be offering more information on MP in the near future. But I can say I am super stoked to start talking about it. This was definitely not just a "checkbox" feature for us - we spent a lot of thought and time making a cool multiplayer experience!
                      I was really glad to hear this and it definitely contributed to pushing me into pre-ordering. SP campaigns are fun and all but for me they are a warm up to give some lore and connection to the units and factions you'll be using, hopefully, for months to years to come in MP games. I know leaderboard rankings have already been disclosed but I'm also hoping replays and observer mode are part of the suite of features you're putting in as they are pretty essential to longevity of MP as well.

Comment

We indeed spent a lot of time in multiplayer like Rory said!

I take this opportunity to introduce myself, I am a MP Designer in DoK and will be mostly active in this board answering your guy's questions and listening to feedback once the game is live!

Thank you for your interest in DoK! Really excited to have you guys playing it.

Comment

• SabinBlitz
                          SabinBlitz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Welcome! I'm excited to see more MP information in the future!

Originally posted by Ekko Tek View Post
                        I'm also hoping replays and observer mode
                        Yes, these will be awesome to have!

Since homeworld 2 had replay capability disabled, perhaps due to lack of time to complete it, we had to resort to full screen movie capture through 3rd party utilities and publish that as a huge file download or online via youtube etc. While this method preserves the exact view of the player's play, which is strategically fun to watch, not everyone could properly set it up due to complexity and need for a decent pc spec. Of course, over the last 10 years, things have gotten a lot easier with better tools, more bandwidth for people and people buying better hardware but a built-in one would give far easier access to this feature for many people, which, as already being said, is important to keep people's attention to the game by providing highly skilled strategies avaiable for viewing.

As for spectator mode, we really want one as well. People have made spectator position enabled maps by editing the original maps just for this, which is basically a hack, so, the spectators have to blow themselves up as the game starts and, as Homeworld 2 only allowed for up to 6 players, you could not have any spectators on a 6 player map. A built-in feature would make it a lot smoother for people to watch good games.

If these are not planned on the first release, perhaps as a future update would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by SkeeterUK View Post
                          Since GameSpy is dead...
                          I am crying real tears.

Replay from any perspective would be fantastic.

Game looks great.
                          Last edited by f1n; 23-12-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkeeterUK View Post
                            For hw1 they used GameSpy I think, hw2 as well but can't recall. Since GameSpy is dead what are you going to be using if you can say. All in-house mp stuff or 3rd party?
                            HW1 was WON skeeter, both HW1 and HWC come on man =p HW2 was gamespy, I couldn't play it very long due to gamespy's weird network issues. which is why I dropped out of competitive multiplayer back then

Comment

Working...
                            X