No announcement yet.

Multiplayer questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh.. You are right, they were WON. I blame it on old age.

Comment

Hoping a Dev can answer but I understand the "wait and see" approach as well.

Having received HWR in my pre-order. I decided to replay HW1/2 and I love the pace of the game in single player.

Multi-player is a whole other ball game. I played a 2v2 that took almost 2 hours to play. I heard some 1v1s can last that long or longer.

As a future streamer of DoK I can tell you that kind of pace will not hold up to most RTS viewers. There will be a core group that enjoys a long game with strategy and thought. I do myself! But I know what holds the average twitch viewers attention and I know many viewers need to be captivated in the first 30 seconds or they move on.

Are DoK games as long as HW games or can we expect faster, more action packed gameplay akin to StarCraft 2?

SC2 games last usually 10-15min tops to give comparison. I would try to compare it against another RTS but let's be honest, most of those interested in RTS know what StarCraft is and I have no allusions that they won't be compared. Many of my friends that play RTS gsmes are already trying to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by SabinBlitz View Post

Having received HWR in my pre-order. I decided to replay HW1/2 and I love the pace of the game in single player.

Multi-player is a whole other ball game. I played a 2v2 that took almost 2 hours to play. I heard some 1v1s can last that long or longer.

As a future streamer of DoK I can tell you that kind of pace will not hold up to most RTS viewers. There will be a core group that enjoys a long game with strategy and thought. I do myself! But I know what holds the average twitch viewers attention and I know many viewers need to be captivated in the first 30 seconds or they move on.

Are DoK games as long as HW games or can we expect faster, more action packed gameplay akin to StarCraft 2?

SC2 games last usually 10-15min tops to give comparison. I would try to compare it against another RTS but let's be honest, most of those interested in RTS know what StarCraft is and I have no allusions that they won't be compared. Many of my friends that play RTS gsmes are already trying to compare.
        A good game of HW is analogous to a good game of chess. Use that as a hook for these kinds of games, maybe?

Comment

I know I may get flammed for saying this. But I don't consider Starcraft 2 a true real time strategy game. 10-15 minutes is honestly a small amount of time for a strategy game. The way SC2 is played and the way I've seen Pro's play it, it feels more like a moba with armies. SC1 had more strategic depth in my opinion.

From what I can see, in DOK, is that right out of the bat, terrain actually matters, probably more so than in most RTS games as of late. This means some real thought is going to be put in as to where you would want to position your armies, or staging points. Maps seem fairly large, so for me I'd more compare this to Supreme commander, (Just in size) I do not know how the economy works or the tech tree works yet. I can expect that this alone will probably mean that games will be a bit longer than StarCraft 2. As for how interesting they are, I think that's ultimately going to depend on how the games start and how soon the action starts, as well as the over all visuals. Keep in mind, StarCraft in general has been successful because the action has always tended to start earlier than a lot of RTS games, not so much that a game would be over in 15 minutes. I believe SC2 has a shorter match average than SC1, yet SC1 was more successful in its following as SC2 has been declining.

Comment

As a matter of fact, having played Homeworld 2 online 1000s of times, you can barely reach 2 hours in a proper match. A typical sensical 2v2 or 1v1 would last around 30 minutes until the game is decided depending on how big a map is. Even a fairly balanced 3v3 rarely goes over an hour in Crimson Bond sized maps. Homeworld 2 had the greatest balance as a RTS from asymmetrical faction point of view and how long a game lasts.

Obviously if the map is too large, network lags, both sides never attack or someone flees the scene even if the game is decided can make it last unnecessarily long but that's barely the developer's fault. At least Homeworld 2 had this "ping" to find anyone hiding at the corner of a map.

Generally, in my opinion, 30 to 60 minutes per game is the right spot to make a game deeply entertaining but not long enough to make players tired.

Comment

It was discussed among the fans on the Discord server the other night. We know that there are two sides to the conflict, hence 2 factions to choose from in multiplayer. Other than 1 has cars/wheels and the other has hover tech. What differences between the factions can we expect? Or will DoK follow the same path as HW1 with the only differences between the races being their aesthetics and slightly different gun hardpoints.

I think two factions is fine but it would be really neat to select sub-clans that fall under each faction, since we know that this is kind of a civil war.

Westwood studios had Red Alert, it was Allies vs Soviets. There were 5 or so subfactions under each side. Allies were England, Germany, France.. Some others. England benefited from 10% increase in armor. Germany had 10% stronger attacks, etc, etc. Soviets were USSR, Ukraine and others. USSR had 10% discount on unit. Ukraine had 10% faster move speed. I think? Regardless, it was fun to pick a subfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Avetorian View Post

HW1 was WON skeeter, both HW1 and HWC come on man =p HW2 was gamespy, I couldn't play it very long due to gamespy's weird network issues. which is why I dropped out of competitive multiplayer back then
                Gamespy now that's been sometime, must have been owned by Gearbox..

Comment

Working...
                X