This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaptainkiwi View Post

You mean aside from the fact its set on a desert planet with none of those terrain types?

For the single player this certainly would not make sense, but in multiplayer maps I see no reason that they should have to adhere to the canon single player lore.

Originally posted by SusuMan View Post

maybe a industrial based map with sand dunes scatter in the map
    That would be very cool too.

Comment

The polar regions apparently get a bit watery/icy, so in theory you could mix it up a little. Maybe icy dunes? The industrial/city idea is a good one.

Comment

I think some basic things need implementation before we go crazy with new game modes or environments.

1) replays and observer mode - hands down the most important thing multiplayer needs to keep a community going

2) map design - There should be very little incentive to keep your carrier static. Right now, players barely have a reason to move their carriers at all. It may as well be immobile. The resources at the edges of the map should be poor or have very little RUs. Make players feel the need to move their carriers more.

3) matchmaking options - Players should be able to choose a variety of game types to search for in automatch so that they aren't stuck searching for a 1v1 if they wouldn't mind being in a 2v2.

Comment

Firsts things first, a truly amazing game so well done to you guys at BBI.

​A question about the multiplayer though. After tasting the sweet power of the coalition in the single player and then moving over the multiplayer, I was a bit disappointed at the StarCraft 2 move that was pulled where upgrades were basically completely gone and unit makeups were completely different (eg. Artillery Cruiser doesn't even fire missiles by default, only on ability in multiplayer?). I understand that balancing does need to be considered when going into multiplayer but I feel like you took a lot of the complexity out of the multiplayer that the single player had by 'dumbing' it down, so to speak.

Comment

Thanks for the amazing game, here are my suggestions/wishes for MP:

1. Pause button (should be possible if you are playing coop/compstomp)
            2. More maps with a bit more variety - maybe we can explore the polar regions of Kharak?
            3. Rebindable keys
            4. AI difficulty level is unpredictable - normal on artifact retrievel can be a real challenge, while in standard deathmatch it's way less.
            5. Sooner or later, maybe part of a DLC, more units to add variate (or even another faction?)

Comment

Originally posted by DesignerHat View Post

1) replays and observer mode - hands down the most important thing multiplayer needs to keep a community going

2) map design - There should be very little incentive to keep your carrier static. Right now, players barely have a reason to move their carriers at all. It may as well be immobile. The resources at the edges of the map should be poor or have very little RUs. Make players feel the need to move their carriers more.

3) matchmaking options - Players should be able to choose a variety of game types to search for in automatch so that they aren't stuck searching for a 1v1 if they wouldn't mind being in a 2v2.
              Absolutely agree with the above. Replays and Obs should be implemented as soon as possible, as these are integral for any competitive RTS. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that new maps are already being playtested, so that covers that. (Very excited for more maps.) The matchmaking options would be nice, but not needed right away IMO.

As stated before, I would also not mind seeing map tilesets other than deserts. I understand that is the main premise of the game, and would be more than happy to continue playing on the established tileset, but playing on a jungle map, or frozen (the heat feature on Carriers can also play differently depending on the map tileset) map would be really cool to see. Depends on how impacted BBI development cycle is.

Either way, excited to see what the meta becomes, then we can really dig in deep for new features.

Comment

About matchmaking. Last night I sat in a ranked automatch queue for 1v1 for maybe 25 minutes without anything happening.

It makes it rough when you sit there thinking you could settle for a 2v2 easily and have no idea if you'll ever get that 1v1.

Again, it separates the player base unnecessarily.

Comment

Oh yeah. Ping map locations or flag enemy units for teammates.

Edit: Here's a couple ideas for making the desert seem more like a an ocean and make players move around on it.

1) Make the maps much bigger. This gives players reasons to move. Make the distances between resource areas large. Players would need to resource an area and prepare for a long journey to the next resource site. It also means that armies can be cut off from reinforcements much more effectively. This adds to Galsiien strength and plays into their numbers and attrition game while also adding to the coalition's repair and retention-focused style.

2) Make it so that the longer your carrier sits in an area, the more red that area turns in the sensor manager, like you're getting activity there and your sensors figure it out over time. Call it heat signature or whatever. This means sitting still would make it easy for your opponent to launch strikes on your position with strategic weapons and long-range tactical strikes.
                  Last edited by DesignerHat; 21-01-2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

One more:

Let base runners recycle anything they've deployed. Once you're done with an area, it would be cool to pack up your turrets and scanners.

Comment

Oh and another thing I just noticed: Artifact spawn sites should be numbered or named (A, B, C) for easier communication with teammates!

Comment

Considering the fact that there's 'only' 13 units per faction, I guess more abilities for tactical variety would do much good. Like mines that are available in the campaign but somehow are missing in the multiplayer. Feels rather bare bones in the diversity department. Would be also cool to have an option available in previous Homeworld games that made the selected unit go back to the closest support frigate instantly for some repairs.
                        Last edited by gongal; 21-01-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I know this is a crazy idea, but randomly generated maps would be amazing!

Comment

Loving the game so far, the biggest feature I feel is missing from the game however is Research Queuing and Autobuild.

Some kind of button to automate building something in a queue as long as you have the resources (And supply cap) to do it. I only have to manage a single entity that builds things but I'm commonly focused on managing my units on the field.

Not only that but I'd love to be able to queue research up when I realize I'm floating in tons of money. I get that I probably shouldn't be floating in money but it only puts me further behind. I have to wait for the current research to finish, it's quite annoying.

Comment

I just want team Death Match, no objective and i wanna be able to play the cpu just like Homeworld 2.
                              Thankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by BBI-ekhudson View Post
                                Hi guys! The game's been launched for just over an hour, and we're super excited to see everyone playing!

As you get more familiar with the game, we'd love to hear your thoughts about what you'd like to see for multiplayer, be it balance changes, new abilities, new units, new objectives, map settings, etc. I'm making this thread to serve as a place to record all that feedback.

See you all among the dunes!
                                I find I'm missing a couple of things in the Skirmish scene...

First, I want to use Base Runners to deploy remote sensors, none of this "Sensors as unit cap" expansion items. I can believe the unit cap expansion better if it was a portable shelter deployed, and instead give the sensor turrets back to Base Runners. They're the closest thing to Probes in Homeworld and I'd like to drop them remotely to keep watch over areas without tying it to my unit cap (or having to use a carrier to deploy them). Mines on BRs would also be great as well since they were very useful in the singleplayer. Can't tell if it's an upgrade that I'm missing or not by not upgrading to it, but if it is, greyed-out unlocked abilities would be good to suggest as such.

The second is map selection. I was hoping Torin Crater was the -exact- crater from the skirmish mission (complete with spacewreck), but it isn't. I'd like that map and some of the other campaign missions (with derelicts) available as MP skirmish arenas. Can this be possible? Khar-Toba looks great in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                X