Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This game is great so here are all my complaints.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This game is great so here are all my complaints.

edit: I just saw the Wishlist thread, this post probably belongs in there. Please forgive me.

Having played Deserts of Kharak nonstop since launch, I am finally taking a break to post my initial thoughts and feedback and such.

First I should say I love this game. The 8 hours of multiplayer games we did went by very fast, it’s completely awesome. So here is my withering barrage of criticism.

Air units are close to pointless.
    As it stands right now I feel like air units only have a very brief window in early game when they are useful and even then, only if the player rushes for them right away. Air units are so fragile that every sortie they go on is basically a suicide mission. The only time I saw air units being effective was during my first game when no one on my team knew how to counter them. By game two they were dropping like flies and by game 4, nobody in the group I was playing with bothered to build them anymore unless there was an overabundance of cash. Once players start building dedicated AA units, or upgrade their assault cruisers/honorguard cruisers, it’s just not economical to build air units any longer.

The poor gunship in particular doesn’t seem very good at anything. Unlike the strike fighter or bomber, it doesn’t do enough damage in the brief period before it’s shot down.

Please include a military selection priority.
    This is especially annoying if you forget to change your carrier’s build waypoint. Units cluster around it and I have to usually waste a lot of time clicking them individually so I don’t accidentally move all my resource collectors and the carrier itself along with them.

Maybe let us zoom out a little further?
    This one just might be psychological, but I consistently felt a little confined when not in the sensor screen. With the range of units like the railgun tank and others, it was sometimes a little difficult to tell where shots where coming from, and switching to the sensor screen to quickly see what was going on could be a little disorienting.
    I feel like I got used to it by the end of the night, so maybe it wasn’t that big a deal.

Your hotkeys are dumb. Let us change them.
    F3 to select idle harvesters? F3?!?!!

Shelled peanuts are better because you have to work for them.
    I got a giant bag of shelled peanuts at the grocery store the other day. Sure I could have just gotten a jar of shelless peanuts, but at the end of the day when you look back on a giant mess of broken peanut shells that have made a mess of your carpet, it really feels like you accomplished something.

More Maps.
    I know you’ve heard this one before, but if you’re playing in a group of 3 like I was today, your essentially limited to one map. It’s a good map, but it gets tiring. Do something with the map used in Mission 2, it rules big time.

The maps need to have more reason to expand and be less symmetrical.
    Right now it seems like every resource expansion point is located in the rear of the map, or nearby your start. It would be nice if there were some resources located in the center of the maps to give players more things to fight over. Right now each side seems firmly locked in their respective sides of the map just venturing out to hit each other.
    Last edited by Swiss Knight; 20-01-2016, 08:11 PM.

Really awesome to hear that you are enjoying the multiplayer mode!

I can answer to your concerns regarding the tuning involving air units. We are already closely looking at air units in general and they might change in a future patch, especially the Gunship and AA on units like assault cruisers and honorguard cruisers. We still want to watch and see the meta evolve but that is something already in our radar for sure.

Comment

Yeah I agree with you SwissKnight. I'm really enjoying the multiplayer so far, I've put in about 5 hours. Obviously with only 5 hours I'm no pro but I do think the AA feels almost pointless. Most of my multiplayer matches I didn't even research it because of how easily they get killed. The damage is good but they die instantly. Yes to military selection please, yes to rebind-able hotkeys, and absolutely we need more maps. I guess the only thing I don't really agree with is the less symmetrical maps suggestion. I see where you're coming from but it's really impossible to have a completely fair competitive game without a symmetrical map. Maybe include non symmetrical maps in unranked modes or something but I don't think I like that idea for ranked play.

Comment

@BBI-Pherrera
        To make aicraft more viable late game, introduce a countermeassures upgrade (ECM and flares/chaff), not unlike modern combat aircraft have.
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=craCy3mhKF0

Aircraft then gain a special ability to make AA defenses temporarely less effective. Could be visually signified by aircraft popping flares upon activation (with pilot chatter ).
        This wouldn't be unlike the LAVs boost ability, but still visually communicated to the enemy player.

Perhaps the countermeassures are more effective against groundbased AA, forcing the enemy to switch to fighter patrol as air defense.
        Last edited by TWV; 21-01-2016, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I don't agree that air is weak in the late game at all for the most part. Only feedback I have would be to bring the Coalition bomber and gunship price and vet requirements in line with the Gaalsien equivalent (statswise the bomber is entirely inferior to the Gaalsien bomber at its role, only good vs super clumped up blobs even neglecting upgrades, while costing more and requiring 2900XP to get to vet 1. For comparison, the Gaalsien bomber requires 940XP. The Gunship requires a ludicrous 5000XP- even the battlecruiser only requires 3200XP).
          Ingame ID: Quicksilver

Comment

Great post, Swiss. I'm going to echo all of his points (except to say that boiled peanuts are superior to both shelled and unshelled) and double-up on some more incentive to expand into maps, as well as better defenses for air units.

Originally posted by Strummingbird View Post
            I don't agree that air is weak in the late game at all for the most part. Only feedback I have would be to bring the Coalition bomber and gunship price and vet requirements in line with the Gaalsien equivalent (statswise the bomber is entirely inferior to the Gaalsien bomber at its role, only good vs super clumped up blobs even neglecting upgrades, while costing more and requiring 2900XP to get to vet 1. For comparison, the Gaalsien bomber requires 940XP. The Gunship requires a ludicrous 5000XP- even the battlecruiser only requires 3200XP).
            Wow. Considering that the Gunship rarely lives past one mission, I have no idea how one might accrue veterancy on it.

BTW, per the Expedition Guide, the Gaalsien bomber is supposed to outclass the Coalition equivalent-- which isn't really a balance reasoning, but still. :P

Comment

Working...
            X